Bikepacking Aotearoa Guide Book
Twenty two cycling adventures along paths less travelled, 2nd Edition.
Bikepacking Aotearoa is a guide to twenty-two cycling adventures around New Zealand. The trips range in length from two days to two weeks and explore the less travelled parts of this beautiful little country.
New equipment and a change of mindset have opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Bike packing bags, strap directly on to the bike and allow you to travel fast and light, on off-road capable bikes. Get away from busy main roads. Take to the gravel backroads, cycle trails, and back-country tracks to really get away from it all and find the hidden gems that Aotearoa has to offer.
For riders who are looking for adventures close to home and for bikepacking routes that can be completed in 2-3 days Bikepacking Aotearoa offers a choice of 20 exciting routes that explore some of the most scenic parts of the country. These routes are perfect as weekend getaways or as preparation for a bikepacking event.
• Introductory chapters cover equipment choice, bike setup, training and preparation.
• Includes detailed route descriptions, maps, elevation charts, essential service listings
• Routes are graded by difficulty
• Includes a list of Bikepacking events on offer around Aotearoa NZ
Choosing and fitting your bike
Packing your bags
On the road
1. The Heart of the Octopus
2. Great Barrier Island
3. Coromandel Peninsula
4. Raglan to Te Awa Loop
5. Caves to Coast Loop
6. Geyserland Classic
7. Motu Trinity
8. Whanganui – Whangaehu Valley Loop
9. Mangatutu Mission
10. The Five Beaches
11. Āpiti Ridge
12. Remutaka Plus
13. Marlborough Sounds Loop
14. Kahurangi 500
15. Tasman’s Great Taste Trail Plus
16. Rainbow – Molesworth
17. Wilderness No.8
18. Le Banks Peninsula
19. Alps 2 Hakataramea Loop
20. Te Kouka Traverse
21. Nevis and the Old Man
22. The Ram Rock
Plus summaries of an extra 20 nearby trips – recommended by leading bikepackers.
* Tour Aotearoa: 3000 km the length of New Zealand
* Kōpiko Aotearoa: 1060 km cape to cape across the North Island
* Sounds 2 Sound: 1460 km Marlborough Sounds to Milford Sound (via east of the main divide)